Thursday 13 February 2014

Writing new novel Day One - I began backwards

Today is the day I began to write my romantic suspense novel.  My plan is to write everyday with a first draft of around 60,000 words finished by the end of March.  I have chosen to blog about it after each writing session.  This will mean:

My hands will be knackered from all that typing (I hope).

If I don't write much on the story, the embarrassment of trying to explain it to the blog will hopefully give me the mental kick in the you- know-what for the next day.

And so to Day One:

The sun was out (yes seriously!) and by 9.30 I had walked Faithful Hound and put the washing on, and the long day stretched out before me so down to my shed I went.  The shed, unused for over a week, was cold and it took a while for the heater to warm it up.  Faithful Hound protested slightly and moved his cushion closer to the heater:



Two and half hours and four thousand one hundred and seventeen words later, I finished the end of the penultimate chapter of the book.  Yes, that's right - the PENULTIMATE chapter.  I chose to start there (in the middle of the climax) in order to set my mind on the right direction from the beginning.

Well, if J K Rowling could write the last chapter of the last HP book before she wrote anything else - so can I.

I rewarded myself with chocolate and a walk around the garden where I saw the plain and simple beauty of these snowdrops:


Bring on Day Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment